RE: facts about web ontology languages

On UML:

UML is typically used as a modeling language independent of syntax. One
models the required concepts in UML and generates a representation of, or
software interface for, the model elements you defined in UML. The
generation process maps the UML model elements into some syntax or language
for implementation. In the RDF/S case, it's the concepts that can be
represented using RDF/S that would be mapped into UML, not whether the
representation is RDF/XML or N3.

The OMG is standardizing a representation of RDF/S and OWL using UML that is
known as the Ontology Definition Metamodel. That standard will include a
metamodel of the OWL and RDF/S languages as well as a way to map between
those languages and UML. It will also include standard techniques for
defining ontologies using graphical UML tools. That part of the standard
will be called something like a "UML Profile for OWL".

Cheers,
David