Re: RSS data transience and the semantic web

From: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:09:32 +0100
To: rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Sorry to come late to the party, I've been away.

As I recall, the PulpFiction newsreader (Mac) stores every retrieved
news item, just like an email client; this is actually quite intuitive,
as one doesn't expect an older item to disappear just because there's
more recent news. I'm sure the RSS->mail converters do the same. In
principle, this data could be made available through an RDF query
interface.

Non-RSS feeds could be downloaded, parsed, and saved into the same
store, then exposed as RDF (obviously a more restricted vocabulary than
RSS 1.0).

In a more careful world, authors would expose an RSS feed of all their
posts for posterity (some already do). However, I would prefer a more
intelligent approach to news serialisation, where the client could
query with a date range (or a proper query) and get the right results.
In an all-RDF system, this could be OWL-QL, RDQL, or some other RDF
query language.

None of these approaches solve the difficulties of poor description:
inaccurate titling, bad markup, missing author markup, categories, and
so on.

Now I ought to practice what I preach :)

-R

PS. I'm noodling away on a persistent, system-wide RDF store (based on
Redland currently). I'm thinking that a persistent newsreader would be
an interesting application.