Re: RDQL parser in Prolog (Sesame interoperability)

Thanks for sharing your work Jan. I'm just getting up to speed on what
you've done already and am happy to share anything that I produce.
However, compared to you I'm a complete Prolog amateur so I don't want
to oversell my work. It may need an expert eye casting over it before
letting it loose on a poor unsuspecting SWI userbase!

I'm grafting the www.theyrule.com Flash client onto a SWI RDF database
which I'd like to be available as a web service also. Flash talks SOAP
nicely which is why that was my first choice. However, I needed a query
language and so I think some kind of thin SOAP layer over your http
SeRQL server may be a good way forward.

Cheers

Simon

Jan Wielemaker wrote:

> Simon,
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:14:18PM +0100, Simon Price wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of an RDQL parser written in Prolog? I've found
>>references to Prolog+Java interfaces to JENA etc. but can't find an
>>existing implementation in plain old Prolog.
>>
>>I'm using the RDF library in SWI-Prolog to create a Web Service for
>>querying FOAF. The grammar for RDQL is in the spec so I'm sure it won't
>>be too hard to write one but I'd rather not reinvent a wheel :-)
>

> You already know from the SWI-Prolog list, but there may be others
> interested.
>
> I've created what is basically a clone of Sesame (www.openrdf.org),
> including both the Sesame (HTTP) server and Sesame client (extended from
> work by Maarten Menken) in Prolog. This system has some attractive
> freatures for those interested in Prolog, Java and the semantic web:
>
> 	* You can use the Prolog client to access both Sesame and the
>  	  Prolog SeRQL engine.  This is cute for doing additional reasoning
> 	  on query results on Sesame servers, sharing data on a Sesame
> 	  based infrastructure, etc.  The client deals with session management
> 	  (login, logout), table and graph queries, uploading files, uploading
> 	  and deleting triples.
>
> 	* You can use Sesame remote repository access from Java to access
> 	  both Sesame and the Prolog SeRQL engine.  Using Sesame to access
> 	  the Prolog server is a nice combo for Java programmers wishing
> 	  to access semantic web data through Prolog reasoning as the
> 	  server provides a plugin interface for reasoning modules.
>
> 	* There is a SeRQL parser and compiler to a Prolog goal
> 	  that can run on the SWI-Prolog semantic web store.  This is the
> 	  core of the server, but it can also be used without the server.
>
> 	* Last and maybe least the HTTP server, like Sesame, provides
> 	  services intended for programs as services intended for human
> 	  interaction through a browser.  The latter can be used as a
> 	  starting point to provide your own enduser oriented services.
>
> The current version is 0.2.0 and still under active development. Still
> lacking is any form of query optimalisation and the set of supported
> input/output formats is limited. It requires SWI-Prolog 5.3.18. For more
> info, see http://gollem.swi.psy.uva.nl/twiki/pl/bin/view/Library/SeRQL
>
> People interested in contributing to this framework are kindly invited
> to contact me.
>
> 	Enjoy --- Jan

Simon Price, Technical Consultant, Internet Development Group
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/aboutus/staff?search=ecsnp