Re: Silly question on IFPs.

From: <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:37:42 +0000
To: "www-rdf-interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
"IFP" is a really nasty piece of jargon.  It means "Inverse Functional Property".  In turn, that means a property that uniquely identifies an instance.  For example, if a US social security number were really unique to a particular person, it would be an IFP.  That is, if you know its value you can uniquely determine its owner.

By contrast, a telephone number would not uniquely identify a person, because several people can share a phone number.

Cheers,

Tom P

I’ve been reading some posts on the list and continually finding the term IFP. What are those?

Sorry for being so na´ve.

attached mail follows:

Hi all:

I’ve been reading some posts on the list and continually finding the term
IFP. What are those?

Sorry for being so na´ve.

Regards,

Manuel.