Re: InverseFunctional properties are the new URI?

At 22:26 29/07/04 +0100, Damian Steer wrote:
>>Why isn't something's URI an IFP property of the thing?   TimBL calls
>>that property log:uri, I think.   For a while, I generalized it
>>slightly to u:uname [1].
>>
>>      -- sandro
>>
>>[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/12/uname/
>
>"You can always solve a problem by introducing another layer of indirection."
>
>So true :-)

I remember Guha saying something similar when presenting the
Reference-by-Description ideas as used in TAP, and then adding that in the
case of TAP this reduced the number of URIs that must be globally agreed
(for effective exchange of information in an open-ended community of
interested parties) by some orders of magnitude, thus could be regarded as
a valuable deployment of that old panacea.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact