rdf stores for use with cheap hosting accounts

From: Phil Dawes <pdawes@users.sf.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:03:49 +0100
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hi All,

I'd like to build some semantic-web infrastructure tools for use with
a bog-standard cheap hosting provider. I was wondering which rdf
stores are suitable for use in a such an environment. In my experience
cheap hosting tends to mean:

- CGI  (perl, python, not java)
- PHP
- MySql

I've been experimenting using rdflib (python + CGI) in my
www.web-mania.com account. This is fine (sub-second) for small sets of
data that can be held and parsed from flat text files, but I found
that the berkley storage took about half a second to initialise so I
wasn't able to use it (since cgi is stateless so no possibililty of
pooling connections).

PHP appears to use database connection pooling, so a PHP rdfstore
backing onto mysql or berkeley store would be good.  The other
possibility would be to run a process that communicaties with the CGI
internally, but I'm not sure whether that would be possible with other
accounts.

Any experiences?

Cheers,

Phil