Re: RDF validator error

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:01:53 +0100
To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
Cc: Art Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>, Charlie Abela <abcharl@keyworld.net>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Jeremy:

>>>I suggest one of the following fixes in the validator code:
>>>a) specify an arbitrary base URI instead of ""
>>>
>>>or
>>>b) tell ARP to ignore this condition
>>>  setErrorMode(
>>>     ARPErrorNumbers.WARN_RESOLVING_URI_AGAINST_EMPTY_BASE,
>>>     ARPErrorNumbers.EM_IGNORE );
>>>
>>>Personally I think option (b) is better.

Eric?:

>>Any particular reason? I have no great preference for A, but it does
>>seem like the triples generated by allowing unanchored relative URIs
>>might cause someone trouble down the line.

I am not unhappy with A.

My weak pref for B is based on the dummy URI being arbitrary and hence
potentially confusing for someone who asks, "where does that URI come from?"

Admittedly option B may be confusing for someone who says "but the
validator permits relative URIs".

Given A is implemented let's go with that.

Jeremy