Re: RDF [was: Proposed changes]

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:39:36 -0500
To: Www-Rdf-Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Danny Ayers wrote:

> Right, and there is a disconnect between the semantics within the content
> and any explicit semantics expressed outside. For the (RDF) Semantic Web the
> links are latent semantics. As well as the need to get the 'blatant'
> metadata systems sorted out (RDF storage, RDF/OWL inference etc), I
> personally believe it's necessary to bridge to the latent semantics -
> metadata hidden in XML and things like text search (Bayesian categorizing
> etc, to infinity and beyond...). The blatant metadata systems are in the
> (early) implementation phase, but the bridging to latent metadata still
> hasn't been covered systematically. Fortunately I reckon most of the
> groundwork has already been done (e.g. XPath), so it's only matter of gluing
> the pieces together.

Here is a paper that might be of interest (sorry about the miserable URLs) -

Categorisation by Context
G. Attardi1, S. Di Marco1, D. Salvi1, F. Sebastiani
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cache/papers/cs/1991/http:zSzzSzfaure.iei.pi.cnr.itzSz~fabriziozSzPublicationszSzIIIS98zSzIIIS98.pdf/attardi98categorisation.pdf

There is another one which I do not seem to have saved, which shows some
ways to make use the the structure surrounding HTML <a> elements to help
work out the semantics.  If I can track this down I will post its URL (I
think I found it on Citeseer).

Cheers,

Tom P