Re: RFC - rdf in rdms / status?

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:00:04 -0700
To: david faibish <u455354@site.uottawa.ca>
Cc: bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com, jonas@paranormal.se, eric@tux.w3.org, emiller@oclc.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

David,

since I set up this page, substantial amount of work has been done by
developers and researchers along the lines of RDF/DB. In a way, the page
fulfilled its purpose: to draw attention to the topic.

My recent research deals with so-called "generic model management".
Generic model management is an emerging field of database research that
aims at simplifying the development of metadata-intensive applications,
such as data integration, software engineering, website management, or
network modeling applications. Such applications are complex and hard to
build. They manipulate a variety of metadata artifacts, or models, and
mappings between models. A major goal of generic model management is to
develop a database infrastructure in which a set of high-level algebraic
operators, such as Match, Merge, or Compose, are applied to models and
mappings as a whole and reduce the cost of application development.

If you are interested in the topic, I'd encourage you to have a look at
[1] where you can find a demo of the prototype that I built and the
relevant papers. The prototype leverages a number of techniques,
including RDF and RDF/DB. More information can be found at [2,3].

Best,
Sergey

[1] http://www-db.stanford.edu/~melnik/mm/rondo/
[2] http://research.microsoft.com/db/ModelMgt/