RE: [Fwd: RDFCore 2nd last call announcement]

From: Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:06:39 +0100
To: 'Frank Manola' <fmanola@acm.org>
Cc: 'Brian McBride' <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hi Frank:

> Finally, there was a question about "whether the Primer actually cares
> if the applications it discusses are generally useful".  I'm not
> entirely sure how to interpret this comment.  Part of the process for
> deciding what went in there was based simply on who was willing to
> contribute.  More generally, it was hoped that the applications (which
> are often rather domain-specific) that were described would suggest
> ideas to people about how they might use RDF in other domains.

I should clarify that I did not in any way intend "useful" to refer to one
schema being better than another, just that there be a schema, so that the
RDF classes and properties could be married to a URI architecture (schema or
ontology, if you will), whether RDFS or OWL - otherwise just looks like
plain XML to me. (Except of course that the XML elements can then be
variously differentiated by category - class and property - based on the RDF
data model.) Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Tony