RE: ANNOUNCEMENT: RDFStyles: alternative to XSLT for RDF

From: DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) <bob.ducharme@lexisnexis.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:37:07 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Libby Miller wrote:

>It can,

Glad we got that straight!

>but not usually usefully because of the syntactic variations RDF
>can use to express the same graph.

These syntactic variations are RDF's problem, not XSLT's, any more than
rendering of SVG or XForms are XSLT's problem. In other words, the root
cause of the sadness you describe is at
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/, not at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.

Don't get me wrong, I love RDF in general, and I think the whole idea of
RDFStyles is great, because if RDF/XML syntax is messy enough that existing
XML tools can't do much with it, then it looks like new tools are necessary,
but when I see how bloated the XSLT 2.0 spec has gotten, I'd rather see
complaints about what XSLT can or ought to be able to do expressed more
accurately than "XSLT does not work with RDF."

Bob