Re: Referencing time resources

From: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:30:34 +0100 (BST)
To: "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

How do you mean Tony? time as in date-time?

For Dates, dateTimes, Times, we've been using an RDF version of
iCalendar (developed by the RDF interest group calendaring taskforce):

http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal
http://esw.w3.org/topic/RdfCalendarDocumentation
http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/test/

e.g.

<Vevent>
    <dtstart rdf:parseType='Resource'>
      <dateTime>2003-01-15T18:00:00</dateTime>
      <tzid>/softwarestudio.org/Olson_20011030_5/Europe/London</tzid>
    </dtstart>
</Vevent>

(Notice the timezone reference, which in iCalendar (RFC 2445) has to
reference a timezone in the same file. Notice also that we use bnodes).

There's a problem with this approach:

http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/rdfig/2003-08-20.html#T16-57-54

There's also a problem with the W3C datetime formats note's approach to
timezones (http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime) in the sense that it is not
possible to be completely accurate about date-times using formats like:

1994-11-05T08:15:30-05:00

in the case of some timezone changeover periods.

There's lots more information on the www-rdf-calendar@w3.org list
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/)

There is a guy generating urls from times and dates, but I can't find it
offhand, sorry. I'll try again if that's what you were after.

or did you mean something else? :)

Libby