last word on RDF serialization and QNames?

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:33:55 -0700
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Everyone,

What's the last word on RDF serialization and QNames---has this been
settled, and if so, what's the authoritative document? I've found
numerous discussions, but nothing definitive.

The problem, as everyone probably knows, is that once an RDF+XML
document is processed, all qnames are collapsed into static URIs. That's
fine for RDF interpretation, but rough for re-serialization.

I've read a document somewhere that describes how to guess at the
original namespace+localname serialization given a URI (does anyone
remember where to find this document?), but this doesn't work for some
combinations such as http://www.w3.org/1999/xlinkhref (which would yield
(http://www.w3.org/1999/, xlinkhref).

More worrisome is an RDF graph that contains the URI
"example:mynamespace-myproperty". I can't think of a way to serialize
this---if serialized with the null namespace and a local name of
example:mynamespace-myproperty, a namespace-aware XML processor would
not give the correct result when re-interpreting the serialization.
Perhaps the namespace could be serialized as "example:" and the local
name as "mynamespace-myproperty", but is "example:" a valid namespace URI?

Is the bottom line that, in cases like these, a serialization must draw
arbitrary lines in the string just so the name will serialize using a
(namespaceURI, localName) pair?

Is there anything authoritative on this?

Cheers,

Garret