Re: Safe Execution of Recursive Axioms + English

On Wednesday, Oct 1, 2003, at 20:14 Europe/Rome, Adrian Walker wrote:
> The Internet Business Logic engine capabilities mentioned below are
> stratified datalog with negation, plus some aggregation operations
> (SDA).  It's possible that this goes beyond polynomial complexity.
> For the purposes of exploring Tamel's questions, it may turn out that
> SDA is enough.
> But for more general purposes, can you point me to the proof that OWL
> is EXPTIME-hard please?

I don't think that aggregation has been used in this context capture,
for example, even the complexity of the propositional content of OWL
(which is obviously a NP-hard component).
The EXPTIME-hardness complexity comes from the fact that it is possible
to encode in OWL-dl and OWL-lite the simplest propositionally complete
description logic (i.e., ALC) which is EXPTIME-complete.

cheers
--e.

Enrico Franconi                  - franconi@inf.unibz.it
Free University of Bozen-Bolzano - http://www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/
Faculty of Computer Science      - Phone: (+39) 0471-315-642
I-39100 Bozen-Bolzano BZ, Italy  - Fax:   (+39) 0471-315-649