Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

Hi all,

I'm usually just an interested observer in this list.  However, in reading
about the 'info' scheme and the car/document problem, an idea has struck
which I will float past the group.  Perhaps its already been thought of in
other contexts and shot down or not, but I'm too lazy to do the research, so
here it is :-)

The specification of the 'info' scheme could define a standard mapping
between the 'info' and 'http' schemes.  Whenever the 'info' URI is used it
is understood to represent the concept.  However, after applying the
standard mapping the resulting 'http' URI is understood to represent the
document describing the concept (which may or may not actually be
resolvable). For example:

   info:namespace/identifier

maps to:

   http://namespace.info.niso.org/identifier

The "info.niso.org" domain is chosen as an example, but there would need to
be some domain which is controlled by the same organization who is
responsible for maintaining the 'info' namespaces.  This group is also
responsible for managing any subdomains and resolvable documents in those
subdomains which correspond to the various info namespaces.

Presumable the mapping could go both ways if one recognizes that
info.niso.org (or whatever) is the domain which manages the info namespace.

I'm sure there are lots of ugly details that would need to be worked out,
but it seems like something like this could work, and potentially solve the
car/document problem in a fairly simple manner.

Kind regards,
	Tom

--
Thomas Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects