Re: MGET and machine processing

Patrick Stickler wrote:

> On Monday, Nov 24, 2003, at 16:55 Europe/Helsinki, ext Mark Baker wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 02:41:34PM +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> >> Well, while I consider it acceptable to treat a description as
> >> a representation, it is nonetheless necessary to be clear about
> >> the distinction when interacting with the server.
> >
> > Right.  Using a different URI would be another way to do that! 8-)

Patrick--

why not let the Web itself 'decide' where one can find a description of
a resource? Today, if I need to do a site-bound search on a particular
site I can use for example Google - the evolvement of the Web itself
has lead to this well known service. Nobody asked for some HTTP
extension to do a site-wide query, it just happened because it made
(economic) sense to provide this service.

As soon as the Web itself starts to demand a similar service for
retrieving descriptions of resources, I think it won;t be long until
existing search engines and new competitors start providing it.
You would then simply submit your descriptions to these services as
you today submit your URLs for indexing.

Image all the nice (semantic) processing that could be done on the
millions of resource descriptions....

Anyway, just a thought.

Jan

--