Re: SW Best Practices WG - draft charter for discussion

Libby Miller wrote:

> Guus, this looks great. I think this could be incredibly useful.

Libby,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

> Focus 1: Supporting initiatives for publishing ontologies looks similar
> to our work on the RDF Calendar vocabulary; my only criticism is that
> I think it may take longer than 2-4 months to convert some of these to
> RDF, at least if a process is used similar to the RDFiCal one, namely:
>
> - developing usecases
> - roundtripping from the vocabulary to its RDF equivalent
> - creating a series of testcases and mechanically generating the schema
> from them
> - mapping parts of the schema to other vocabularies, with illustrative
> examples
> - interacting with the relevant communites using email and perhaps IRC
> - creating demonstrators that use the vocabulary
>
> Not every vocabulary will be suited to this approach, but we do think it
> is a good one, although it can be time-consuming.
>
> More information about the approach is at
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/dev_workshop_report_2/#outcomes
> http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal

Thanks for this information. As we discussed at the SWADE workshop, the
approach you sketch is probably required if the vocabulary has no clear
schema/metamodel. I will include a link to this work in the draft charter.

Guus