RE: Standard URI Set, ... -> keep it simple ?

I am designing and implementing a framework right now that uses uris
with a "own" schema part.
but that is very experimental and I think I am dancing on thin ice with
this,
because:

- W3C won't be happy to introduce a new schema (I think, hey, what does
W3C think?)

- this will result in a new Port number and protocol and THAT is not
required. we got http, thats fine, SOAP is nice, too :-)

- every application from web browser to Java.io.URL will have problems
with rdp://

so this is my fear of change

but i have some practical experience here, too:

= go ahead, create the new protocol =
rdp:// sounds cool and it will be surely needed.
but what kind of protocol is it anyway ?
i am developing some kind of protocol right now but what protocol should
we use ?
- Sesame-style
- RDFSuite-style
- RDFGateway-style
- ????

so I'd say do it W3C style:
propose a protocol and have it discussed.
wait.
(repeat)

= stick to HTTP as transfer protocol =
serious.
think of proxys and ports
think of "fear of change"

= use a new DOMAIN NAME =
just add a http://rdf.microsoft.com/billgates and everybody is happy ?
This has been best practice since 1970 ?
you know: pop.ms.com, news.ms.com, smtp.ms.com

and you are really amazed when typing
http://pop3.server.com and see that some wise guy installed a web
interface for your email server.
like a web interface on your RDF server ?

= use TRICKY URLS that everybody can understand =
and thats my own experience from programming :  Example
I have a server with my rdf data:
http://rdf.leolize.it

I have some files there that belong to ME and i use
file <file://rdf.leolize.it/~leo/semweb/thesis.doc> ://rdf <file://rdf>
.leolize.it/~leo/semweb/thesis.doc

the server itself may have public files, too
file <file://rdf.leolize.it/~pub/music/iLikeKaraoke.mp3> ://rdf
<file://rdf/> .leolize.it/~pub/music/iLikeKaraoke.mp3

this is the uri of a person:
http://rdf.leolize.it/~leo

and HERE is my problem that I have to admit - solve the same way as you
do:

i have an outlook appointment that belongs to user LEO

rdf://leo@rdf.leolize.it/outlook/appointment/12301928301823098123

well, i really came far but not far enough to stick to my rules
mentioned above, perhaps i could just use http:// here....

.... what remains is fear of change ....

hope this injects inspiration

Leo Sauermann
Vienna, Austria