RE: Some RDQL questions

Alexander,

> * Is there any way to specify ordering like with the SQL order by clause?
> * Am I right to assume that there is no support for aggregate functions?

You are right - RDQL does not have the features to sort or process the
values returned from a query.  In Jnea, they are streamed back in the order
found and this may vary.  As RDF does not constrain the data, results can be
a mix of plain string, resources or datatyped literals.

>* Would it be possible to query for all resources that do not have a
certain property?

Not really.  RDF does not express negation and the triple patterns matched
on the graph also do not allow tests for the absence of something.

>* If I think of a TriplePatternClause in terms of SQL joins, does it
> have inner or outer join semantics? For example if I say:
>

> SELECT ?lastname, ?email
> WHERE
>          (?r, <my:lastname>, ?lastname) ,
>          (?r, <my:email>, ?email)

Both property values must exist - it is a graph pattern to match against the
RDF graph.

> * Does RDQL mandate anything with respect to inference along
> subPropertyOf/subClassOf lines or is this considered an implementation
detail?

The assumption is that inference happens in the triple interfgace to the
data being stored.  It is not a feature of the query language.

RDQL just looks a bit like SQL - it isn't SQL.  It is more about the
handling of the RDF than about handling after the values have been extracted
from the model.

	Andy

I'm currently working on the (RDBMS based) storage backend of an OWL based
knowledge/content management system. So I'm looking around what components
are already there. I have come across RDQL but didn't find much in terms of
documentation. I have looked at the BNF and the jena tutorial but some
questions remain:

* Is there any way to specify ordering like with the SQL order by clause?

* Am I right to assume that there is no support for aggregate functions?

* Would it be possible to query for all resources that do not have a
certain property?

* If I think of a TriplePatternClause in terms of SQL joins, does it have
inner or outer join semantics? For example if I say:

SELECT ?lastname, ?email
WHERE
         (?r, <my:lastname>, ?lastname) ,
         (?r, <my:email>, ?email)

Will the lastname of ?r be included in the result set even if it has no
email address? Can I change this behaviour whichever it may be?

* Does RDQL mandate anything with respect to inference along
subPropertyOf/subClassOf lines or is this considered an implementation
detail?

Thanks in advance,

-Alexander