[newbie] domain or subPropertyOf in PhotoRDF schema

From: Richard Cyganiak <rcyg@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 13:25:41 +0200
To: "rdf-interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Hi all,

I'm puzzled by some RDFS constructs in the W3C's Photo RDF note [1].

I'm new to RDF and RDFS, so I thougt I would ask here for help.

The Photo RDF technical schema [2] states (shortened):

|  <Class rdf:ID="Technical-data">
|    <comment xml:lang="en">
|      A class that represents technical data about a photo
|    </comment>
|  </Class>
|
|  <rdf:Property rdf:ID="camera">
|    <comment xml:lang="en">Brand and type of camera</comment>
|    <domain rdf:resource="#Technical-data"/>
|  </rdf:Property>

Note the domain property of #camera.

Later [3], the camera property is used on a photo.

My feeling is that <subPropertyOf/> should have been used instead of
<domain/> (and Technical-data should be a property, not a class). Is this an
inaccuracy in the Photo RDF note, or am I somehow mistaken? Does it matter
at all?

Thanks a lot,
Richard

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/photo-rdf/