Re: rdfs:class and rdfs:resource

From: Wolfram Conen <conen@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 20:01:27 +0200
To: Dieter Köhler <dieter.koehler@philo.de>
Cc: "Www-Rdf-Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> So every Resource of a graph can be declared being a Class.  That suggests
> that the distinction between Resource and Class is for practical reasons a
> candidate for Okhams razor: The distinction between Resource and Class is
> superfluous and should be dropped in RDF/RDFS.

This would be a very reasonable consequence (IMHO)...with extensibility/open
world, a view of a concept "class" as purely extensional (there has to be
something in the extension to justify the use of the concept "class") is not
useful (only, if we would refer to certain "snapshots"). But if this view
isn't useful, there does not remain much to distinguish between Resource and
Class (as you point out very nicely) [maybe one could say that, with the
current knowledge (given a set of triples), we can be sure that a Resource
is also a Class (it is extension is not empty, for example), but would that
be useful? Hm.]

Best,
    Wolfram