Re: Semantic Web Services: Interest Group creation discussions

In a message dated 3/13/2003 12:22:49 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
danbri@w3.org writes:

> I'd be interested to hear views from RDF Interest Group members on this
> proposal. It connects also to our own need to start thinking about the
> future of the RDF IG over the coming years, and about priorities for future
>
> work within W3C. Do people here see "SW Services" as the next big thing?

IMO, semantic web services are critical in areas like Web service
discovery and orchestration.  Additionally, I believe web services in
general are a catalyst to other semantic web activities as they increase
organizational awareness of open, layered metadata and the potential for
semantic interoperability (as opposed to syntactic interoperability).  It is
that
potential that makes the next step from web services to semantic web
services both obvious and desirable.

So, in essence, Semantic Web services may well be the watershed event
to the larger vision of the semantic web.

> As a blue skies research area? As ripe for standardisation? If there were
> an Interest Group, or Working Group, or 'taskforce' or mailing list
> devoted to this topic, would you be interested in participation?

I would definitely be interested in participation.

Best wishes,

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, Advanced Programs Group
McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net