Re: Need compelling story on the value of ontologies in fusing location-based data

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:15:11 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

[Danny Ayers
> What is also possible given such a setup is that the inference engine
could
> be used to draw further conclusions, or prompt actions based whether or
not
> (loc inside box) is true.
>
> Like I said earlier, the good bit is that (on the OWL/RDF side) this is
all
> built from standard, reusable parts. The application wiring (and state)
can
> all be expressed declaratively.

Yes, I think that this is one of the the main points to be made in favor of
RDF/OWL/etc.  Roger says he is looking for "a" compelling story to sell OWL,
but I see several threads here.

1) Potential value of declarative approach.
2) Potential value of ontologies.
3) Potential value of RDF/OWL.

If you have 1) and 2), then you have a strong case for 3) from the standard,
reusable features.  If you do not have the first two, then the case for the
third is much weaker.

Cheers,

Tom P