Re: Addressing in the SW!

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:16:00 +0100
To: "Peter Vojnisek" <et@progos.hu>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

>   If we have a class instance: http://example.org/persons#Joe
>   and we know that there is has a property
>   http://example.org/person#name
>
>   Can we reference to Joe's name in an uri?

The Notation3 alternate serialization of RDF [1] has something called
path syntax [2] which lets you do roughly what you're looking for,
e.g.:-

   :Joe!:name

This expression, however, just generates the following triple and
returns the subject:-

   [ is :name of :Joe ] .

So it's basically a query... but I've been thinking recently that N3
paths would make interesting identifiers. Of course, then you couldn't
use bNodes or QNames in the path...

Something to consider, anyway.

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3
[2] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/Shortcuts