Re: Proposed extensions to OWL?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:05:39 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>
cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Thomas B. Passin wrote:

>I agree, if we want to find a web service to convert from inches to
>centimeter we may be talking about a process.  But I have a lot of trouble
>with the thought that I need to invoke a web service every time I want to do
>a lousy little units conversion!

Well, given a way of describing a service, one would hope that you could
describe alternatives. And a simple parser-based or local tool as an
alternative to mutliply by 25-and-a-half should be obvious. Complex
mathematical manipulation might be easier done by a dedicated machine on a
web service, that has half the stuff pre-computed.

But I think modeling it like this makes more sense - although cwm actually
does handle basic maths things intrinsically if you have the right modelling.

cheers

Chaals