Re: XML Enriched N-Triples (XENT)

From: Jimmy Cerra <jimbobbs@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:35:26 -0400
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "'Sean B. Palmer'" <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: <jimbobbs@hotmail.com>, <tbray@textuality.com>

I like your ideas.  It has been suggested [1] that there are too many
RDF syntaxes in the wild; I disagree.  These days it seems that
everyone, and their mother, has some thoughts on what a RDF
serialization should look like, and that's not a bad thing!  I say, the
more experimentation, then the more likely some good variants will be
created.

On abbreviating element names for URIs, there has been controversy [2].
Indeed, it seems that a variant of BSWL [3] and XENT is similar to a
hypothetical example brainstormed by McCullough and me [4].  One problem
with this approach is that it breaks the "qname = element's type"
philosophy of XML [5]; I can see that influence in RDF/XML, where
element qnames indicate what the node is cast as.

However, I don't particularly like using non-xml tokens in a
serialization meant for use in XML [6].  I don't want to build a
tokenizer for parsing apostrophes, white spaces, and other strings on
top of another tokenizer, the XML processor.  Furthermore, the escaping
sequences for the tokens have to be added - and they can't be entities,
since they always gets processed first with the rest of the XML
(otherwise, what's the point of using XML).  IMHO, using two or more
different escaping methods really mucks up the language.

Finally I reiterate.  I like your ideas; I may have to steal them. ;-)

--
Jimmy Cerra

] "I had to learn very early not to limit
]  myself due to others limited imagination."
]  - Dr. Mae C. Jemison

CC: Tim Bray - as with the origional message - to be on the safe side.
Although, I don't think he even cares to receive a copy of _this_ email;
my apologies in advance if you don't want it.

[1] The issue was referred to at the URI:
http://dubinko.info/blog/2003_04_13_archive.html#92807249

[2] I.E.: http://internetalchemy.org/2003/05/rdfSyntaxRetrospective.html

[3] http://infomesh.net/2001/07/bswl/#Abbreviati

[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2003May/0049.html