RE: ANN: OWL API (Java version and XSLT version)

Roger -
There is already work underway on OWL Java API's.  Jena 2 [1] will have
fairly complete OWL support, based on Jena's support for RDF.  This will
include a convenience access API for OWL and DAML+OIL ontologies, a variety
of built-in reasoners, plug-in support for external reasoners, and a
syntax-level (full, DL or lite) conformance checker.  The next release of
Jena, preview 4, will include a fairly comprehensive beta implementation of
these features, and is due out by the end of June.

There's also a rich API specifically for OWL manipulation and reasoning [2]
from the Universities of Manchester and Karlsruhe, developed under the
WonderWeb consortium project [3].  The WonderWeb API focuses more on the OWL
abstract syntax, whereas Jena focuses more on the RDF graph representation
of OWL.

There may be other work underway as well, but these are the main activities
I'm aware of.  Neither of these projects would be replicable in XSLT,
however, so if your goal is to have a single API that works in both Java and
XSLT it's probably best to start with a clean sheet as you have done.

Cheers,
Ian

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/jena (note that the ontology API in
J2Preview3 is *not* representative of the current design - see the CVS copy
for the updated version)
[2] http://wonderweb.man.ac.uk/owl/
[3] http://wonderweb.man.ac.uk