Re: A few lessons I have learned (June, '03)

From: <MDaconta@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:32:50 EDT
To: costello@mitre.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
In a message dated 6/6/2003 12:47:14 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
costello@mitre.org writes:

> 2. Separate everything:
>
>   - separate data from presentation
>   - separate data from applications that process the data
>   - separate semantic definitions from application code
>   - separate hyperlink definitions from data (put hyperlink
>    definitions in a linkbase)

1 and 2 are inexpensive and intuitive.  Well supported via tools.

#3 is currently expensive until the community reduces the cost via widespread
ontology development.  Thus, at the present time #3 needs to be caveated
based on the complexity,
mission criticality and purpose of the application.

For #4, I would like to see an example to determine if I agree.  Are you
stating that
a "resource card" (possibly a chunk of RDF) should accompany and
be stored separately from every resource (like a card in a card catalog)?

Interesting post,

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, APG, McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net