Re: Do resources have representations?

From: Benja Fallenstein <b.fallenstein@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +0200
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
CC: jon@spin.ie, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> I've found it useful to think of URIs as being bound to
> particular intensions of resources.
>
> E.g. several URIs may all denote the same thing, i.e.
>
>    http://example.com/MorningStar
>       owl:sameIndividualAs
>          http://example.com/EveningStar ;
>       owl:sameIndividualAs
>          http://example.com/Venus .

...but do not *connote* the same thing, would be my term for it. E.g.,
the representations received when we enter each of the above in a
browser may be different.

> but each URI, and the statements made about the resource
> using that URI, are specific to a particular intension of
> the thing denoted.

Each URI is specific to a particular intension: ok.
Each statement using the URI: Hm.

OWL specifies that if A owl:sameIndividualAs B, then all statements you
can make about A entail a similar statement about B. E.g., if I say

     <http://example.com/EveningStar>  rdf:type  foo:BeautifulThing

then I'm implying that

     <http://example.com/Venus>   rdf:type   foo:BeautifulThing

I think that implying it is basically as good as saying it, so I think
that it's not useful to say that the two statements are specific to a
particular intension of the thing described, because if I make one of
the statements, I also make the other (in RDF+OWL).

What do you think?
- Benja