RE: Do resources have representations?

I've found it useful to think of URIs as being bound to
particular intensions of resources.

E.g. several URIs may all denote the same thing, i.e.

   http://example.com/MorningStar
      owl:sameIndividualAs
         http://example.com/EveningStar ;
      owl:sameIndividualAs
         http://example.com/Venus .

but each URI, and the statements made about the resource
using that URI, are specific to a particular intension of
the thing denoted.

It is a fact that the Morning Star and the Evening Star
are the same thing, namely the planet Venus, and that
all three names are denotationally synonymous.

However, some names carry along with them a view or
perspective or scope of knowledge that is beyond
the simple denotation.

And the sets of representations which are available via
one URI versus another can reflect the difference in
intension.

Thus, the representations accessible in terms of the
URI http://example.com/MorningStar could include images
of Venus at dawn whereas the representations accessible in
terms of the URI http://example.com/EveningStar could include
images of Venus at dusk, and the representations accessible
in terms of the URI http://example.com/Venus might include
all of the above as well as sattelite and probe images,
etc.

And the maintainers of one set of representations may
have no clue about the denotational equivalence of the
URI they use with that of another URI by which someone
else maintains an entirely different set of representations.

Thus, even though many URIs may all denote the same thing
in the universe, each particular URI used can indicate an
intension that is distinct.

Cheers,

Patrick

--