RE: Semantic web - a fractal ongoing struggle toward greater consistency.

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:55:37 +0100
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> Of course, in RDF HTTP URIs are used as UUIDs.  But while they
> are used that
> way, they are no longer HTTP URIs, but just unique, opaque
> identity markers.  I still
> think that in that case, we are using these HTTP URIs as UUIDs to
> denote the HTTP URIs
> used as HTTP URIs.

They are always UUIDs, if they weren't they couldn't function as URLs since
it would be impossible to know what resource you should send a
representation of.
HTTP, DNS and server implementation policies add semantics on top of the
opaque identifier, but they never cease to identify one thing and one thing
alone.