Re: blank nodes question

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:45:49 +0100
To: Bob MacGregor <macgregor@ISI.EDU>
CC: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, "Peter P. Jones" <ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Bob MacGregor wrote:

> I beg to differ.  Blank nodes are absolutely necessary.

I agree.

Thinking about knowledge representation, say we wish to represent a
non-binary relationship. Then we use blank nodes to construct the more
complex structures. If we had to name them, these names would be arbitrary
and we would need some method of indicating that those names were arbitrary.

I think n-ary relationships might have been a different design choice.

Jeremy