Re: blank nodes question

At 20:01 26/07/03 +0100, Peter P. Jones wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a question about blank nodes in RDF that's probably not as
>naive as it sounds.
>
>Q: Why are blank nodes necessary?

There is, I think, a sustainable argument that blank nodes are not
*necessary*.  But in discussion, it seemed clear that some developers found
them sufficiently *useful* to justify their inclusion.  I think so.

There was also some thought of using RDF expressions in contexts other than
as assertions, where the usual approach of Skolemization doesn't
work.  There is some discussion in the RDF semantics draft [1], discussion
of the Skolemization lemma.

#g
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#prf