Re: (Round 2) Proposed Extensions to OWL

From: Roger L. Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:17:59 -0400
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
CC: tpassin@comcast.net, "Costello,Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>

Tom, I have read your latest proposal several times.  Let me see if I
understand it.

The idea is to define an ontology of standard functions.  For example,
this defines how to transform miles into kilometers:

Standard Functions Ontology:

<owlx:Transform rdf:ID="MilesToKilometers">
      <owlx:inputUnits rdf:resource="#Miles"/>
      <owlx:outputUnits rdf:resource="#Kilometers"/>
      <owlx:transform>miles = kilometers * 0.62</owlx:transform>

Suppose an application were to receive this document:

<River rdf:ID="Yangtze">
                      <unitSpecification rdf:resource="#Miles"/>

And suppose the application wanted to convert the length data in the
document to a value with units of kilometers.

The application would "consult" the Standard Functions Ontology for a
Transform which has inputUnits = Miles and outputUnits = Kilometers.
The transform property then details how to convert the numerical miles
value into a numerical kilometers value.

Is this an accurate summary of your proposal?  /Roger