RE: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

Right. The key difference in my proposal is that for any
given urn: URI, you'd have no less degree of opacity in
its corresponding HTTP-URN.

But technically, there is no difference. Both are simply
more persistent, more opaque names that are mapped to
less persistent, less opaque names.

> The latter is interesting in that I did (at the time) get a
> commitment from
> higher management that the URI space designated would be held
> immune from
> re-use for any other purpose.  So far, it seems to have held
> through a
> change of company ownership and my own transfer to other pastures.

Exactly. Having a domain root that is controlled by the same
organization that manages the urn: subscheme registration
alleviates the danger and worry of preserving the integrity
of the namespaces.

Cheers,

Patrick

--