Re: query regarding validity of RDF file

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:07:25 +0000
To: "Oliver Lyttleton" <olyttlet@computing.dcu.ie>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

At 12:39 12/02/2003 +0000, Oliver Lyttleton wrote:
>Is a tag like this permissible in RDF?
>
><rdf:RDF
>     xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>     xmlns:lib="http://www.zvon.org/library">

Yes

>The formal grammar for RDF would seem to say no:
>
>RDF     ::= ['<rdf:RDF>']
><http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/#obj>obj* ['</rdf:RDF>']
>
>ie you can't declare namespaces as attributes of the root element of an
>RDF document.

I think you are referring to grammar in Model & Syntax

   http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/

Whilst this is the current specification, the RDFCore WG have been revising
and clarifying the specs.  I suggest you take a look at the last call
working draft of the updated spec:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/

Brian