Re: Trust, Context, Justification and Quintuples

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:47:38 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> The classic example is "I saw Superman fly" and "I saw Clark Kent
> fly" are two different sentences even if we know that Superman =
> Clark Kent. RDF Semantics does not allow you to capture this using
> reification.

Not naively, but if you "de-lable" the sentence, it does, making the
act of naming occur explicitely:

    "I saw something fly.  That something is called 'Superman'."
and
    "I saw something fly.  That something is called 'Clark Kent'."

You do need a naming predicate like log:uri for this, expressing the
notion of "is called".   It's one way to get referential opacity in a
referentially transparent logic like RDF.   (I have no idea yet if
it's the best approach here.)

         -- sandro