Re: RDF validator error

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:08:51 +0100
To: Charlie Abela <abcharl@keyworld.net>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

(Would value comment from other WG members)

Charlie Abela wrote:

> I am trying to parse some DAML with the validator. The parsing of this
> file used to give no complaint except that lately I am being faced with
> this error: Error: {W130} Base URI is "", relative URIs left as relative
> and I can?t figure out why?

Also this example from Art Barstow:

<rdf:Description rdf:ID="Profile">
<dc:title>World Wide Web Consortium</dc:title>

generating the same error.

At some point I upgraded ARP to correctly identify the use of relative URIs
in documents given with relative URIs as a problem.
The RDF graph uses absolute URI refs, and if no absolute URI can be
established then there is an issue. Whether this is a warning or an error
depends on the use case, and ARP supports either. The validator I believe
runs in strict mode, and so most problems are treated as errors.

Recently the validator has had the ARP engine upgraded. At which point this
behaviour was introduced.

I agree that it is a bug in the validator, since while no base URI can be
determined for text pasted into a web form, it is unhelpful to complain
about this. It is however not a bug in a compliant parser.

I suggest one of the following fixes in the validator code:
a) specify an arbitrary base URI instead of ""
b) tell ARP to ignore this condition
      ARPErrorNumbers.EM_IGNORE );

Personally I think option (b) is better.

A workaround until the validator is updated is to have the file to be
tested as web accessible and use the validate URL option.