literal vs. resource

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:20:45 -0700
To: "McCool, Rob" <robm@robm.com>
Cc: "www-rdf-interest at W3C" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "KR-language" <KR-language@YahooGroups.com>

Both RDF & OWL seem to treat this like
a "syntactic" issue. i.e., I don't think
there's any real semantics behind the choice
of literal or resource.

But it does make a difference in MKR.

The OWL distinction is
    DatatypeProperty vs. ObjectProperty
which roughly corresponds to
    attribute vs. relation
in MKR.

Basically, an attribute is a property of a
single entity, while a relation (my narrow
sense of the word) is a property involving
two or more entities.  Here are some simple
examples.

    attribute: length, mass, color
    relation: before, above, father

I make the same distinction between actions
and interactions.  For example.

    action: move, eat, speak
    interaction: causality, concert, conversation

Dick McCullough
knowledge haspart proposition list;