Re: Is RDF case-sentive?

From: Benja Fallenstein <b.fallenstein@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:26:06 +0200
To: "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
CC: Pedro Assis in Oporto <passis@dee.isep.ipp.pt>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hi, Tony,

Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) wrote:
> Have I missed something here? Isn't case-sensitivity really a property of
> the URI scheme - not of RDF? There are case-insensitive URI schemes out
> there, e.g. "tel:", "fax:", "modem:".

A URI scheme or a Web authority may define that two URIs differing only
in case are equivalent. However, generic RDF processors will not
recognize this; you'd have to state e.g.

     <mailto:foo@example.org> owl:sameAs <mailto:foo@Example.org>

Of course, you can teach any specific RDF processor that specific URI
schemes are case-insensitive, but you cannot assume this to be known by
everybody.

RDF does define that any two URIs differing only in case are to be
treated differently *in the general case*-- a processor cannot assume
them to be equivalent.

Clearer what I meant?  :-)

Cheers,
- Benja