Re: parsers that don't need rdf:RDF?

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:47:12 +0100
To: Bob DuCharme <bobdc@snee.com>
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

>>>Bob DuCharme said:
>
> I know that the W3C's "RDF Validation Service" at
>http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ and the downloadable ARP RDF
>processor underneath it don't require RDF statements to be enclosed
>inside of an rdf:RDF element. Are there any others that anyone can suggest?

rdf/xml as an XML application requires the rdf:RDF document element,
in order for it to be legal XML.  As a special case, when rdf/xml is
embedded inside other formats, or the context can tell you that it is
rdf/xml (somehow), then you can omit it.

My latest words on this are:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#start
  (last working draft)

  http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/07/rdf-syntax-grammar/#start
  (editors draft)

As to what parsers do this - the Java ARP parser does, and so does
my C Raptor parser (which can be used via several languages).

Is there any particular other requirement you have which means you
need something else?  I can probably suggest others.

Cheers

Dave