Re: URIRefs are not "opaque" identifiers; mapping RDF substructure to KIF

From: m batsis <mbatsis@netsmart.gr>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:19:16 -0700
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hope this is of some context.

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 10:30, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> RDF uses URIRefs as its identifiers specifically so that it can take
> advantage of the web infrastructure.

If it actually did, we wouldn't have to use namespaces or resource URIs to
resolve RDF Schema documents based on the URI before the fragment identifier.

Either that, or you have to limit your app to a finite set of RDFS docs, which
really doesn't make sence in the SW vision.

This ID-like view of URIs and the general bundle of technical issues around
URIs in general is more than depressing; IMHO, it's a darn block, at least
untill some other mechanisms implement the above feature.

Other than that, I see no need to actually interpret the URI structure in RDF.
Even the feature I'm asking for does not belong to the core but should rather
be a feature of the RDF processor (or perhaps a 'plugin' that resolves the
documents over the network and feeds them to the processor to be added in the
graph).

Kindest regards,

Manos