On data models and information models

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:13:21 +0100
To: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

I couldn't make up my mind whether this recently-published Internet draft
was of relevance to this community.  It focuses very much on network
management issues, but some of the discussion seems relevant to RDF
concerns.  So I figured there's no harm to post a note anyway.

#g

         Title           : On the Difference between Information Models and
Data
                           Models
         Author(s)       : A. Pras, J. Schoenwaelder
         Filename        : draft-irtf-nmrg-im-dm-01.txt
         Pages           : 9
         Date            : 2002-9-10

There has been ongoing confusion about the differences between
Information Models and Data Models.  This document explains the
differences between these terms by analyzing how existing network
management model specifications (from the IETF and other bodies such
as the ITU or the DMTF) fit into the universe of Information Models
and Data Models.
This memo documents the main results of the 8th workshop of the
Network Management Research Group (NMRG) of the Internet Research
Task Force (IRTF).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-nmrg-im-dm-01.txt

Graham Klyne