Re: The Tragedy of RSS

In a message dated 10/4/2002 2:55:45 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
dehora@eircom.net writes:

> MDaconta@aol.com
>
> It is obvious there is literally a competition over the syndication
> problem domain between RDF and an application of XML Schema.
> >>

> Not at all. There's a competition over a brand name that no-one seems to
> own but a few people seem to want.

I respectfully disagree because there is no money in that brand.
I believe the competition is between intelligent people who want to do
things their own way (of course "the best way") and disagree as to
what is best.

> Dave Winer's forked RSS twice by looks of things. He has a good point
> about simplicity. On the other hand from a technical viewpoint, it's not
> RDF that matters here, it's actually Dublin Core. having RSS not use DC
> is probably shortsighted. Preserving simplicity versus including Dublin
> Core is a different argument altogether. because the thing is, Dublin
> Core is simple. If RSS 2.0 could find a way to leave Dublin Core in
> place, that's a win-win.

Excellent point on DC.  You are correct about its simplicity -- a small
set of well known definitions.  I am suprised it is not more well known
and reused outside the digital library community.  I never heard of them
until I did some Java training for OCLC.

Best wishes,

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Director, Web & Technology Services