RE: The Tragedy of RSS

From: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:54:52 +0100
To: <MDaconta@aol.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

It is obvious there is literally a competition over the syndication
problem domain between RDF and an application of XML Schema.
Not at all. There's a competition over a brand name that no-one seems to
own but a few people seem to want.

Besides the tragic tug of war over who's solution is "better" - I
believe the real tragedy is RDF losing a battle that it should not
have fought.  I believe that Dave Winer, wielding the "simplicity
sledgehammer", will defeat RDF as a more widely adopted
solution to simple syndication.

Dave Winer's forked RSS twice by looks of things. He has a good point
about simplicity. On the other hand from a technical viewpoint, it's not
RDF that matters here, it's actually Dublin Core. having RSS not use DC
is probably shortsighted. Preserving simplicity versus including Dublin
Core is a different argument altogether. because the thing is, Dublin
Core is simple. If RSS 2.0 could find a way to leave Dublin Core in
place, that's a win-win.

Bill de hÓra