Re: a URI is a name (tel uri scheme and VCARD RDF)

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:36:09 -0800
To: Alexander Jerusalem <ajeru@vknn.org>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Alexander Jerusalem wrote:

> This paper shows quite well the contradictory notions of what a URI
> should be. On the one hand it says URIs should not change and be opaque.
> On the other hand meaning is encoded into URIs, such as protocols and
> hierarchies and different parts are extracted and acted upon by
> different agents. The topic of what should be in an ID has been
> discussed at great length long before the web was invented (i.e. in the
> context of relational databases) and I tend to be on the side of
> meaningless unique IDs cleanly separated from information about how to
> get the stuff the ID refers to.

Yes, this issue has been discussed before there was a Web and every
single day since there has been a Web. So I won't go into again. Suffice
to say that pretty much everything that could be said on the issue of
separating identifiers and locators has been said. I sent you the URIs
to make you aware that this is not a part of the architecture that fell
into place thoughtlessly, but is in fact carefully designed to be the
way it is (right or wrong).

  Paul Prescod