  From: Alexander Jerusalem
  To: Paul Prescod ; Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: Doug Ransom ; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
  Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 3:55 PM
  Subject: Re: a URI is a name (tel uri scheme and VCARD RDF)

  I'm not sure if the following is of any relevance for this thread but your
  discussion reminds me of a question I have always had regarding RDF:

  URIs, it seems to me, are used in two completely different ways: On the one
  hand they are just unique names for something. On the other hand they are
  used to point to something and provide a kind of processing instruction
  that allows us to physically retrieve the thing it points to. Now when we
  talk about someone's homepage for example, I don't think it is appropriate
  to use the URL that allows us to physically retrieve the homepage as the
  unique name of the homepage. The two roles should be strictly separated.
  The reason is that I could have made a lot of statements about the homepage
  that use this URI as a unique name, that is as their subject. The physical
  address, however, can change.

  So even for internet resources, I think we should have one URI to name it
  and another one to point at it, even if the two happen to have the same
  sequence of characters at any one point in time.