  From: Seth Russell
  To: Richard H. McCullough
  Cc: Doug Ransom ; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
  Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 12:36 PM
  Subject: Re: a URI is a name (tel uri scheme and VCARD RDF)

  Richard H. McCullough wrote:

    I have a problem with calling Linus Torvalds an "abstract thing".
    I would say that Linus Torvalds, the Torvalds document and the Torvalds graph are all individuals -- concrete physical things.
  Point taken. But (what kind of a thing Linus Torvalds is ) is a matter of your ontology.   Questions like whether Linus exists after his physical body is dust cannot be answered here and should be allowed to differ according to point of view.  But speaking strictly syntactically we can say, with hopefully very little debate, that Linus does not existe physically in the Internet information space in the same sense that a HTML or RDF document exists in that space.  Consequently to that space the acutal Linus (whatever he may be) is an abstraction.  That was the sense I meant.  Perhaps 'abstract' is the wrong word for it.

  Seth Russell