the theory behind the KR language

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 07:13:31 -0800
To: "RDF-Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
I was browsing through the subdirectories of http://www.volcano.net/~rhm/knowledge/theory this morning looking to see if I had recorded a KR version of Keith Devlin's solution to the liar paradox.  I couldn't find anything about it.  And when I looked it up in Devlin's book "Logic and Information", I found that I couldn't understand the solution without going back to the beginning of his book to review his notation and basic concepts (which I haven't done yet).

But I did find lots of interesting stuff that I wrote 5 years ago, including some examples taken from the book that John Sowa edited.  As you folks are thinking about future versions of RDFS, OWL, etc. I thought you might be interested in my detailed list of design criteria for the KR language (http://www.volcano.net/~rhm/knowledge/theory/KRdesign/krdesign.txt)

# KEHOME/knowledge/theory/KRdesign/krdesign.txt
# 9:30 am 1998/2/17

#==================================#
# Knowledge Representation Design Philosophy #
#==================================#

consistent theory of knowledge
======================
    axiomatic concepts
    personal concept-hierarchy
    dynamic concept-formation
    genus-differentia definitions
    permit lattice for error checking

English-like with very simple grammar
===========================
    statements, commands, questions
    no ambiguity
    no inflections
    no word order inversion for questions
    user-friendly
    allow lists everywhere it makes sense

UNIX-like with simple control structures
============================
    current concept, genus, unit, view
    wildcard names
    conditional
    iteration
    methods
    variables

Knowledge Explorer interaction
======================
    extensive error checks
    powerful search capability (questions)
    flexible input/output
    external relations
    user-adjustable parameters
    self knowledge

Note:
http://www.volcano.net/~rhm/ is a mirror site for http://rhm.cdepot.net/.; volcano allows you to browse directories, cdepot does not.  My Knowledge Explorer download files, http://rhm.cdepot.net/download/kewin.tgz and http://rhm.cdepot.net/download/kelin.tgz, contain all files from the web site plus the complete source code for KE.  KE is written in the Unicon language.
Dick McCullough
knowledge := man do identify od existent done
knowledge haspart list of proposition