OpenCyc progress report

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:51:16 -0800
To: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: "RDF-Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
1. I installed OpenCyc on my Linux machine, but I haven't been able to access the KB.
When I used "latest.bin -w world/latest.load" it complained about missing world stuff.
When I used "latest.bin" it responded
RTL initialized.
CycL initialized.
I entered some garbage, and it let me do a recursive read loop with prompt CYC(1):
So at least I established a CycL conversation.
However, none of the checks suggested in the Release Notes worked, except for (+ 1 2)
I think the checks just failed because I wasn't connected to their KB.

2. I browsed www.cyc.com (IP 207.207.8.2) & found a vocabulary list, so I know how to write a CycL expression.
I looked for a list of microtheories, but I couldn't find one anywhere.
I saw one reference to "BaseKB" which is probably their "tabula rasa" -- I'd really like to see that!

3. I still haven't been able to access www.opencyc.org.
Since I don't have a numerical IP for it, I have no way of knowing if it's even alive.
Dick McCullough
knowledge := man do identify od existent done
knowledge haspart list of proposition